Saturday, May 18, 2013

Finger Print Activity


By, Jamie Stroppini


                In creating an anti-bias curriculum, I would like to allow children the opportunity to explore the differences around them so that they become more comfortable with the idea of differences. This will help enforce the classroom theme of “Alike and Difference” which I hope to incorporate in my classroom someday. In achieving this, the anti-bias activity that I would like to utilize would be the thumbprint activity on pg. 210 of the text, “Roots and Wings.” In this activity children study and look at their own fingerprints as 
well as the other students looking at any differences or similarities. Currently I am not a teacher in a classroom; therefore all writings regarding how a child will be affected by this activity is truly hypothetically based off of my knowledge and understanding of anti-bias education. However, I do hope that by reading this you do develop a clear understanding of the intention of this activity.  
                So how would I go about setting up this activity? In setting up this activity I would first clear a table space and designate it as the thumb print table.On this table I will supply paper, ink pads, magnifying glasses, and even a chart that shows the different patterns that fingerprints form. When introducing this activity to the students, I would like to start off with a discussion about what is a finger print, while showing them all the different types of finger prints that there are. With this discussion I will also make sure to ask the children open-ended questions about what they might have noticed about the different types of finger prints that they see, this will help allow the children to become active participates in the discussion. Then, I will demonstrate using my own finger how the children will do this activity; First by putting their finger in the ink and than putting it on the paper. Afterwards, I will let them loose at the table and let them explore and study their own finger prints while looking at any differences, investigating with type of pattern they may have, as well as determine whether another child’s may be the same or different in some way. As the children are engaging in this activity, I plan to go around the table and put their names on individual papers they used to put their own finger prints on.  These papers I
would collect and save for future use to use at a free choice center were children can revisit this activity and explore their classmates fingerprints again with the hopes that they will find something new and different as they continue to investigate and study.
                So what makes this activity age appropriate for preschool aged children? Young children learn best through actively exploring materials and experiencing through their senses as well as interacting with others (R&W, 188). In this particular activity children are encouraged to explore by using a magnifying glass and by using their sense of sight to guide them through their exploration of differences. This activity is also appropriate because it allows for meaningful experiences through activity applying their own fingerprints and exploring more of their own self. Children can also interact with each other by showing others what they have found and discussing differences and similarities between theirs and other student’s fingerprints. According to the text, Roots and Wings, preschoolers are experts at noticing differences among people. They are also naturally curious about the world which is why this age is often referred to as being in the question-asking stage (R&W, 17). This formula can be both detrimental and beneficial for a child’s understanding of differences, especially those leading up to racial differences. Children that are not properly introduced to or lack the experience of differences in this vulnerable stage can make up
their own distorted views due to the fact that their way of thinking is very limited(R&W, 17); however, when their curiosity of differences are properly addressed and experienced than children start to learn the truth about differences. Starting children off to notice differences at a smaller level, such as looking at differences in finger prints, allow children to focus on differences in general and not just focusing on skin color. This paints the picture to them that we all different, while focusing on their own individual differences and not just those of others.      
                Now I’m going to take a look at goals of an anti-bias based activity, as shown in the handout “Anti-Bias Activity Goals,” and discussion the goals that my finger print activity provides. The first goal that this activity provides is a recognition, appreciation, and respect for the uniqueness, and beauty of each person. In this activity children will be learning that every person has a unique fingerprint with its own unique pattern of curves and loops. Another goal is that it provides children with a positive experience exploring similarities and differences. This activity positively explores similarities and differences because it focuses on comparing traits and emphasis’s more on the uniqueness of each individual. Lastly, this activity promotes positive self concept in children in that it gets children to embrace their individuality and understand that everybody is different in some form.   
                In collaboration with this activity I can also incorporate books that support the concept of differences and similarities. One such book that could be used is the book, “We Are All Alike…We Are All Different,” by Chaltenham Elementary School Kindergarten.  This book is written by children for children and shows original pictures and songs that express understanding tolerance and diversity. This is a great book because I believe that children learn best by learning from their peers. Another book that could be used is, “We’ve All Got Bellybuttons,” by Davis Martin. This book demonstrates to children the similarities that we all have and we all use them for the same purpose.  Such as, “…we all got hands for clapping ...feet for kicking, eyes that close and months that open.”  These types of books can be introduced either
before the finger print activity of after, because I find that either way they support the anti-bias curriculum theme of “Alike of Different.” So no matter what order they follow the theme still remains the same.          
                I chose this particular activity because it focuses on individual differences and expresses to children that everyone is different and it’s that that makes everyone unique and special.  Children also are giving the opportunity to look at their own individual differences rather than looking at how others differ from them. I think that this is so important because when children look at something that is different from their self they must also be able to compare and critically think why. I strongly believe as teachers that we give children as many opportunities and experiences as possible to understand the beauty of being different and unique and it is than that we help foster understanding and cooperative future individuals.   


Works Cited:

York, S. (2003). Roots and wings. St.Paul, MN: Redleaf Press. 

9 comments:

  1. I like your activity and think it is something that children would enjoy alot. Children love getting a little messy and using magnifying glasses so I think this is a very good activity to help children learn about differences and similarities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of this activity. I never really thought about doing something like this with my own children. I am actually surprised they have not come to realize they actually have fingerprints. Fingerprints have always been related to a persons "identity" and giving a hands on activity to uncover the children's "print" just begins their journey of discovering their real "identity". Overall, great choice and I will have to try this on my children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that this was a fabulous activity idea when I read about it earlier in the semester. I think that children would love looking at their fingerprints under a magnifying glass. I also want to find a copy of the book We All Have Bellybuttons, that book looks adorable for young children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My nieces would love this activity just to get to use the magnifying glass to see everything that is to small for them to see normally. This is a great activity for children to use to see that even though they are not the same as their friends they have many similarities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie, I have never heard of a fingerprint activity what a great idea. The children will really like looking through a magnifying glass and seeing what their fingerprint looks like that big. How interesting to teach them that fingerprints are definitely one of a kind but still similar at the same time. I like the bellybutton book too. Good job, Michelle Pusich

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked your activity. Their is so much you can do. Love the idea of reading We All Have Bellybuttons. This is a fun activity that children will love. Your pictures were great. I love the finger prints with differences. The books you chose made me want to read them and do this activity. I like how you incorporated that fingerprints are a part of identity and that everybody has them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this activity. i think that children would really enjoy this and I want to try it now at the preschool where I teach. What great books to go along with it. I have not read them yet, but want to get copies now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this idea. I think children will have fun doing this. The books you chose were great, I'll have to check them out. Great activity! Stacey Green

    ReplyDelete